September 15, 2017

Trinity Suffer Heart Wrenching Defeat in Crucial Clash

Trinity suffered a painful defeat with the game going down to the wire, an attempted goal kick from Finn to finish the game as a draw went wide and Hull sneaked the win by one point.

It was an impressive first half performance from Trinity, the visitors remained calm and collected creating the most opportunities but Hull soon found form after pulling the game back level.

The first try of the game went in favour of Trinity after a great defensive display forcing a number of GLDO’s. On the last tackle Jones-Bishop got his hand on the ball to knock it back into the path of Joe Arundel, the centre stretched to get it over the line. Unfortunately Finn failed with the conversion as it skimmed the wrong side of the posts.

Hull looked nervous in defence and it was not long before Trinity got over once again, after a fantastic try from Miller. The ball looked like it had gone dead behind the sticks after a kick on the last tackle by Finn but Miller got his hand to the ball just in time to further the lead.

The home side got back into the game with 10 minutes left of the first half, on the last tackle Fonua beat Caton-Brown in the air to get the ball and touch it down for a try. Sneyd’s conversion bounced off the post to go over and put Hull four points behind.

The try for the home side gave them a bit of life in the game and the Airlie Birds started to push in attack.

Jamie Shaul was sent to the sin bin with two minutes until half time after a professional foul on Jacob Miller. Liam Finn got the two points to put Trinity to one score ahead at half time.

Hull found their form in the second half and nine minutes in pulled the game back level after Shaul broke free to get over. The decision went to video referee and the try was given to home side.

Five minutes later and the home side looked to have taken the lead when Danny Washbrook looked to have gone over, however the decision which was sent to the video referee who over ruled the referee’s decision and gave it a no try due to obstruction. Trinity were awarded a penalty and a lifeline.

Hull were then awarded a penalty 20m out after Arona looked to have taken the kicker out late, fortunately for Trinity Sneyd missed the kick.

It was not long before Gareth Ellis got over from close range to score his final try at the KCOM Stadium, Sneyd added the extras to put Hull into the lead for the first time in the game.

Moments later and Sneyd took the opportunity to get a drop goal and go seven points clear with only five minutes of the game remaining.

Trinity remained hopeful and after two back-to-back errors from Hull, the visitors were awarded with two fresh sets deep in Hull’s half. Mason Caton-Brown got over down the left side after he found a gap in Hull’s defence; Finn added the extras to go one point behind the home side with two minutes of the game remaining.

In the dying seconds, Finn went for the goal kick but the attempt went wide and Hull won the game.

Full Time: Hull FC 19-18 Wakefield Trinity