September 23, 2017

Trinity End Season in Spectacular Style

Trinity finished the 2017 Betfred Super League on a positive note after grabbing fifth spot in the table following an outstanding win against Wigan Warriors at the Beaumont Legal Stadium.

It was a typical last game of the season performance during the first half but Trinity came out the stronger side creating a lot more chances and looking strong in attack denying Wigan any opportunity to get the ball over the line throughout the 80 minutes.

The first 10 minutes was fairly even between both sides who were both looking to finish in fifth spot but Trinity had the edge in attack. It was the home side who had a call for the opening try of the game, David Fifita charged on the ball at pace but the ball became free from the props hands. The decision was sent to the video referee and was given as a no try.

Minutes later and Wigan’s Joel Tomkins was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle, on the next play Ben Jones-Bishop dotted the ball down in the corner after great work from Liam Finn in the middle of the park. Finn added the extras to put Trinity 6-0 into the lead after 15 minutes.

Another fantastic try from Trinity to double the lead, a lovely kick from Liam Finn on the last play was caught by Jacob Miller in the air, the decision was again sent to the video referee but the try was given.

Trinity continued to take the game into their own hands scoring another three tries from Sam Williams, Scott Grix and Keegan Hirst. Wigan believed they got back into the game after 64 minutes but following a review from the video referee the try was not given.

Wigan were penalised near their own line, Finn certainly did not miss going for the two points to put Trinity 14-0 ahead with 20 minutes of the game remaining.

It was Sam Williams who got the next try of the game; it was smart play from Williams who caught the Wigan defence napping to sneak over from dummy-half during his final appearance in the red, white and blue jersey.

Wigan looked to have finally got over the line after Anthony Gelling believed he had scored in the corner however the decision which was sent up to the video referee was not given due to obstruction.

It was Trinity who scored the next try after champagne rugby from the home side, Scott Grix got on the end of a Ben Jones-Bishop break. Soon after the game was done and dusted after Keegan Hirst crashed over the line seconds after his first attempt which was agonisingly short.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 32-0 Wigan Warriors