July 23, 2017

Trinity Drop to Fifth after Loss to Saints

A disappointing afternoon at the Beaumont Legal Stadium which resulted in Trinity dropping down to fifth in the table going into the Super 8s competition.

It was a steady start to the first half with both teams slowly getting into the game however it was St Helens who opened up the scoreline and took the first half by storm.

Trinity looked to come out fighting in the final 40 minutes with an early try from Scott Grix but Saints pulled out all the stops to ensure they got the two points.

Danny Richardson crossed from close range for Saints after great footwork to dodge the Trinity defence after eight minutes to put the visitors into the lead.

A poor pass from Jon Wilkin was dropped by Luke Thompson which resulted in a Trinity scrum 20m out. On the next play a lovely delayed pass from Liam Finn to Matty Ashurst who burst onto the ball to score, Finn’s conversion levelled the score line to 6-6.

Saints continued to push and a Theo Fages’ kick was grounded by James Roby under the posts after Trinity defence were unable to deal with it and the visitors found themselves back into the lead on 18 minutes.

Moments later and Saints furthered their lead after a great individual effort from Tommy Makinson before Regan Grace got Saints’ their fourth try of the first half to go in at half time 24-6 into the lead.

Trinity came out in the second half on top, a fantastic set in front of Saints 10m mark; Hadley found Grix who went over just right of the posts, Finn added the extras to put Trinity just 14 points behind on 12-24.

On 55 minutes St Helens were awarded a penalty after one of their players were taken out off the ball, Percival got the two points.

Mason Caton-Brown got over in the corner for Trinity after some lovely play from Liam Finn at half-back to put the winger in, Finn failed the conversion and Trinity still trailed by eight points with 20 minutes of the game to go.

Percival went for another two point for Saints after the visitors were awarded a penalty.

Minutes later and Saints got another try through Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, the kick on the last tackle caused a number of problems as it looked like the visitors had knocked on beforehand but the try was still given by referee James Child.

A Zeb Taia try on 75 minutes all but squashed Trinity’s hope of a top four finish, another questionable try for the visitors after the pass to Taia looked forward however the second-rower stretched to get the points for Saints.

Danny Richardson added  the one point right on the hooter at the end of the game.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 16-41 St Helens