August 2, 2019

Saints 26-6 Trinity

Report by Will Moore

An error-riddled game saw Trinity fall to a 26-6 defeat at the hands of the league leaders.

Wakefield aimed to get back to winning ways at the Totally Wicked Stadium but that wasn’t the case as tries from Danny Richardson, Louis McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tommy Makinson and Kevin Naiqama condemned Trinity to defeat.

But in a tightly-contested first 10, there wasn’t anything to separate the two teams. And it was Saints who got the first points on the board, Danny Richardson kicking a penalty from close range. But just soon after, Trinity drew level. Roby penalised in the ruck gave Danny Brough the chance to draw the away side level.

However, it was the home side who had the first chance of the match. After some pressure on the Trinity line, the kick came in. But the Trinity defence stayed strong, denying the hosts of the first try of the game.

The 22nd minute saw the away side have their first good spell of pressure. After David Fifita won a penalty in the Saints half, Wakefield edged closer to the Saints line, but a poor Danny Brough kick saw the ball snatched by Adam Swift inside his own in-goal area.

After 25th minute scare, Trinity would soon be behind. Just minutes later a well-worked move found Richardson on the left, he dummied two of the Wakefield defence to run in and score, converting his try to give the home side a six-point lead.

Just minutes later, the pressure ramped up as the hosts got themselves another try. After peppering the Trinity line the ball was given to Richardson, who sent a grubber kick into the try area to an unmarked McCarthy-Scarsbrook, who touched down. Richardson converted his third conversion of the match, giving Saints a 12 point advantage.

But the scoring did not stop there for the hosts. With just five minutes of the half remaining the ball was worked over to the right, where Makinson was on hand to evade the Trinity defence and touch down. Richardson converting once again to make the score 20-2 at the break.

The first 10 minutes of the second half started the same as the first. Errors began to creep in from both sides as Trinity tried to make up some ground on their opposition.

And it was Wakefield who had the first chance of the second period. After two neat kicks, the ball found itself in the Saints try area, but nobody was able to latch onto it and the ball was cleared beyond the dead-ball line.

However, after a nip and tuck second period, it was the home side who seemed to put the game to bed. With just nine minutes to go the ball was worked out wide to Kevin Naiqama who was on hand to break the Trinity line and score. Richardson added the extras to give Saints a 26-2 lead.

But it was Trinity who had the last say, even though it only seemed to be a consolation. Kelepi Tanginoa powered over the Saints line to score his first try in Trinity colours and that brought an end to the scoring. Saints comfortably won 26-6.