September 26, 2020

Wigan 28-16 Trinity

Trinity came close last night against a strong Warriors side, before three late tries would seal the win for Wigan. (Emma Holley reports).

Despite not being on the right side of the scoreline, last night’s performance will no doubt feel like a major improvement for Trinity, with both sides showcasing great quality.

Trinity have had it tough in recent weeks, and even more so in the build-up to this round, after being forced to stand down several players, just days before the game.

Nevertheless, the side came together to produce a much improved and an enjoyable, lively performance from Chris Chester’s men tonight, with plenty of attacking play and excitement.

And it would be Trinity to strike first in this match, just ten minutes in. It would be through skipper Jacob Miller, as his trademark footwork found him the way to the line.

Seven minutes later, the Trinity side would find themselves further in front, as Tinirau Arona found a gap in the Wigan defence, and went crashing underneath the posts to take the score to 12-0.

Wakefield continued to dominate, and their expansive play and kicking game through Miller and Tony Gigot caused all sorts of problems for the Warriors early on.

It didn’t take long for Adrian Lam’s men to get themselves on the scoreboard, however. An opportunity arose for the Warriors after a Wakefield error in mid-field, allowing Liam Farrell to make a break through the opposition line, before passing to Hastings who finished under the sticks.

Wigan were in again just four minutes later, as Bevan French took a pass inside to cross over, and level the scores to 12-12 heading into half-time.

The second half would then see Wigan dominate the scoreboard, as the cherry and whites came up with three tries in seven minutes.

Sam Powell edged the Warriors in front, sneaking over the line from dummy half to score, before Oliver Gildart and then Bevan French for his brace, also went over; to put their side sixteen points in front.

But Trinity refused to give in, and came agonisingly close to scoring at times, but they were to be denied by the Video Referee.

Trinity did manage to have the last try though, with Tom Johnstone five minutes from time, as he squeezed in at the corner, to make the score-line appear more reflective.

And an incredible try-saving tackle from Johnstone on Liam Farrell minutes from the hooter, highlighted the efforts shown by the Trinity outfit in tonight’s game, as they were determined to prevent Wigan from scoring again.

Despite not taking home a win, Trinity have certainly impressed with a spirited, promising performance and will have plenty of positives to take from this match, heading into next week.

Trinity will now look ahead to next week’s fixture, where they will hopefully take on Catalans Dragons in Perpignan on Sunday, in front of fans for the first time since March.

Trinity: Walker, Johnstone, Tupou, Lyne, Ben-Jones Bishop, Miller, Gigot, Westerman, Tanginoa, Pitts, Kopczak, Crowther, Arona. Subs: K. Wood, Ashurst, Green, Tangata.

Tries: Miller (10), Arona (17), Johnstone (75).

Goals: Gigot (2/3).

Warriors: French, J. Burgess, Gildart, Hardaker, Bobby, Hastings, Leulaui, Partington, Farrell, Isa, Flower, Powell, Havard. Subs: Clark, Shorrocks, Smith, Wells.

Tries: Hastings (25), French (29), Powell (59), Gildart (65), French (67).

Goals: Hardaker (4/5).