March 24, 2018

Warrington Too Strong For Trinity

Trinity lost out to a strong Warrington side at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

A scrappy encounter, but two early tries for Warrington at the start of both halfs was too much for Trinity.

Warrington looking sharp in the opening 10 minutes, however Trinity soon gained the momentum following a try from Reece Lyne in the right corner.

The home side got an early try after just two minutes when Tom Lineham got over in the left corner after Ratchford’s pass set him away. Goodwin hit the post with his conversion attempt and the ball bounced back into the field.

Trinity pulled it back after a fantastic set following a penalty deep inside Warrington’s half. The ball was shifted out to the right to find Reece Lyne who went over in the corner after he fooled Lineham with a dummy run. Finn failed the conversion attempt to put the scoreline level.

Moments later and Warrington took the lead once more with an identical try to the first one with Lineham going forward on the left side.

The home side were awarded a penalty 12m out following interference at the play-the-ball; Goodwin took the kick to get the two points, 12-4.

Fantastic set from Trinity, a lovely dummy run from Tinirau Arona who stepped up to the squad following Dave Fifita pulling out due to injury moments before the game got underway. The ball was shifted out to the left and Tupou darted across, unfortunately Finn failed the conversion attempt.

Tupou made a break from deep after a lovely show and go; he had Miller in support who then found Finn to go over. Finn added the extras to put Trinity two points ahead with 10 minutes until half time.

Seconds before the hooter, Warrington were awarded a penalty, Goodwin failed to get the two points and Trinity took the lead at half time.

Warrington came out in the second half with a quick try from Goodwin after he was put through a gap and raced away. Ratchford added the extras to put the home team back into the lead, 18-14.

Two tries came in quick concession for Warrington. The first when Mike Cooper got over the line for Warrington on 57 minutes after he was the first to react after the ball bounced behind the sticks.

Minutes later and Murdoch-Masila found a gap in the Trinity defence to get over and put the home side 30-14 into the lead.

An intelligent kick-off from Grix who collected his own short kick, on the next play Tom Johnstone made a break down the left side to dive over in the corner, Randell got the conversion after taking over the kicking duties due to Finn being absent from the field.

Lineham made a break deep from his own half to get over for Warrington

Ben Jones-Bishop went over in the corner for a consolation try right on the hooter, 34-24.

Full Time: Warrington Wolves 34-24 Wakefield Trinity