September 5, 2019

Trinity Reserves 18-24 Hull FC Reserves

A first-half hattrick from Max Jowitt was not enough as Hull ran over three unanswered second-half tries to condemn Trinity to a 24-18 defeat. 

It was a game of two halves at the Mobile Rocket Stadium. The first 40 saw the same Trinity side which blew away Halifax just one week ago but as the game wore on, they lost their rhythm. Trinity entered the game in some good form. With just one defeat in six games including that outstanding win last week, their tails were up. 

It was the Trinity who started the stronger. After a tightly-contested first 8 minutes, Jowitt claimed his first. Luke Hooley collected a stray Hull FC kick, the full-back charged up the field, evading the Hull defence to find Jowitt, who was able to go over unchallenged. 

Trinity continued to pile on the pressure as Jowitt added two more to his collection to give Trinity a commanding lead. The first coming through some great work in centre-field as the ball was played right to Calum Hudson, who sprinted down the touchline to find that man again, Max Jowitt, in support as the number nine went over for his second of the evening. And then, just five minutes later, he claimed his third. Jowitt and Hudson linking up well again as a chip over the Hull defence from the winger was collected my Jowitt, who was able to ease over the try line. Hooley completing all of his conversions to give Trinity an 18 point advantage. 

However, just before half time, Trinity’s dominance started to unravel as Hull got one back. Elliot Windley darting out of dummy-half found Lewis Bienek in support as Trinity went in 12 points to the good at the break. 

However, it was the visitors who started the second half as they finished the first. Just five minutes after the restart, Hull went within six. Jordan Webster kicking for Ryan Devany to touch down. 

And then things went from bad to worse for Trinity as Hull drew level. Ryan Price breaking the Trinity line down the left to feed Ryan Price, who powered through the defence to score. McNamara continued his 100% accuracy with the boot to make the scores 18-18. 

With just 13 minutes left on the clock, Trinity went behind for the first time in the game. Kieran Smith finding George Cooke in support as the prop rushed over to score the away sides fourth of the game. 

As full time loomed, Trinity just couldn’t find that cutting edge as Hull FC went away with the two points.