December 26, 2017

Trinity Narrowly Miss Out in Wetherby Whaler Festive Challenge

The Festive period ends in disappointment for Trinity after narrowly missing out on victory at the hands of local rivals Leeds Rhinos in the Wetherby Whaler Festive Challenge at the Belle Vue Stadium.

It was a typical opening 10 minutes to a pre season friendly with both sides looking a little quiet in attack. Only a handful of opportunities were created in the first half which included the two tries, the first coming from the visitors on 13 minutes.

Trinity were hit with a low blow after losing Tyler Randell after five minutes with an injury resulting in the hooker to be taken off the field. This gave youngster, Christian Ackroyd an opportunity to showcase his skills after making the step up from the Academy to first team for 2018.

The Rhinos were the first to get a try after Brad Singleton took an inside pass and forced his way over the line; Richie Myler scored the conversion to put the visitors 6-0 into the lead on 13 minutes.

Trinity’s first bit of real possession in attack came on the half hour mark after a fantastic 40/20 from Kyle Wood out of dummy-half which caught the Leeds defence out. On the next play the ball went to Max Jowitt who played the ball out wide to Ben Jones-Bishop who got over. Unfortunately, James Batchelor who was on kicking duties missed the conversion and Trinity still trailed.

The Rhinos looked to have scored on the strike of half time after a Briscoe kick bounced in front of Richie Myler in the right corner, fortunately for Trinity the scrum-half missed getting his hands on the ball.

The game came to life in the second half, Leeds looked a lot more dangerous in attack causing the Trinity defence a few issues after scoring a further two tries.

However in the final 15 minutes, Trinity grew into the game putting pressure onto the visitors.

On the 54th minute, Rhinos furthered their lead after Jack Ormondroyd went over after showing some great pace. Sutcliffe was unable to convert putting the visitors 10-4 ahead. Six minutes later their third try came when Mikolaj Oledski went over.

Trinity showed they were not down and out after finding some energy late on in the game; a great pass from Ryan Hampshire found Joe Arundel who got over on the right wing, Batchelor got the conversion to put Trinity six points behind on 10-16.

Moments later just before the end of the game, Jordan Lilley kicked a drop goal to end the game on 10-17.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 10 – 17 Leeds Rhinos