May 26, 2017

Trinity Hold off the Giants

Wakefield Trinity continued their impressive run of form with a hard-fought 28-26 victory over Huddersfield Giants at the Beaumont Legal Stadium, their fifth successive win in all competitions.

Trinity went into the game on the back of a dominant Magic Weekend win over Widnes Vikings, but found themselves 12 points down after half an hour, despite Ben Jones-Bishop’s early try.

Reece Lyne and Danny Kirmond both crossed before the break to reduce the arrears, but Dale Ferguson restored the Giants’ eight point advantage shortly after the restart.

Trinity though remained firm defensively thereafter, and after Lyne had closed the gap with his second try of the evening, Sam Williams kept his nerve with a superb touchline conversion to hand Trinity the win, after Jones-Bishop had drawn the two sides level on the scoreboard with his second try.

Trinity started brightly and opened the scoring inside the first three minutes, as Jones-Bishop crossed for his 13th try of the season after a neat offload out the back of the hand from Lyne.

Liam Finn added a tough touchline conversion to extend the lead out to six points, but the Giants responded well and drew level 10 minutes in when Australian full-back Jake Mamo forced his way over from close range.

Mamo was involved once again as the visitors took the lead five minutes later, throwing a wide bouncing pass to Jermaine McGillvary who picked up the loose ball to score in the corner.

Martin Ridyard converted both tries and the scrum half was on target once again moments later to take the Giants’ lead out to 12 points, after Lee Gaskell had crossed for his side’s third try.

Huddersfield continued to look the more threatening as Trinity struggled to get out of their own half, and the home side had to be alert to hold up Mamo just short of the line to keep the score at 18-6.

But Wakefield finally came to life half an hour in and thought they’d closed the gap when Mason Caton-Brown broke the defensive line close to halfway, only to be denied by an outstanding try-saving tackle from the influential Mamo just metres short of the line.

That moment seemed to spark a shift in momentum and Chris Chester’s side did get their second try of the game soon afterwards, as Lyne showed good, quick feet to dance his way over on the right-hand side, although Finn was unsuccessful with the extras.

And the deficit was down to just two points at half-time when Finn converted Kirmond’s try a minute before the break, the captain proving too strong for Ryan Hinchcliffe close to the line following good carries from Craig Huby and James Batchelor up the middle.

But despite starting the second half on the front foot, Trinity fell further behind when Ridyard followed up an outstanding 40/20 with his fourth successful conversion after Ferguson’s try.

The gap was back to just two points once again though just prior to the hour mark, when Lyne capitalised on an uncharacteristic error from Mamo to touch down Williams’s chip over the top.

Ridyard pushed the lead back out to four with a simple penalty from in front, but Trinity secured the two points in dramatic fashion inside the last ten minutes, as Williams floated a wonderful long pass out to Jones-Bishop to score in the right-hand corner, before drilling through the conversion from out wide.