April 12, 2019

Trinity 30-20 Wigan

Wakefield continue home run with Wigan win!

Trinity carried on their fantastic home form, securing their first third consecutive victory of the season, after an incredible, yet costly victory against Wigan Warriors on Friday night.

It was a heroic effort from the home side, as Trinity were hit with injury blows to Anthony England, Reece Lyne, Jacob Miller, and Kyle Wood throughout. David Fifita starred once again, earning another MOM performance, and Ben Jones-Bishop bagged a brace, as any adversity faced didn’t prevent Trinity from producing a spectacular five try display – making Chris Chester’s 100th game in charge one to remember.

Very little occurred in the first twenty minutes of the game, and it would be Wigan who opened up the scores. A break from the visitors had Trinity scrambling in defence, and George Williams threw a long pass out wide to send Joe Burgess flying in at the corner.

With four minutes of the first half remaining, Trinity hit back. A string of penalties in Trinity’s favour gave them crucialfield position, and Craig Kopczak crashed over beneath the posts, with Danny Brough successfully converting.

Trademark side-stepping from Jacob Miller opened a gapmoments later, and Trinity made it two tries in two minutes, as he offloaded to Ryan Hampshire, and Joe Arundel was there in support and finished under the sticks.

The Trinity bombardment then continued, making it three tries in four minutes. Scoring straight from the kick-off, David Fifita made a steaming run down the touchline, before passing inside to Max Jowitt for the try, giving Trinity an astonishing 16-4 lead at the break.

The onslaught from the hosts would continue after the interval, as two minutes inside the second half, Ben Jones-Bishop claimed his long awaited first try of the season, strolling in after a pass from Justin Horo.

Brough added a penalty on the fiftieth minute, before the Warriors hit back and George Williams crossed for the visitors.

Another try came beckoning for Jones-Bishop, as he grabbed a well-earned brace, but Wigan refused to admit defeat, and winger Joe Burgess grabbed two more tries in the closingstages of the match for his hat-trick.

Trinity had already inflicted too much damage however, as collective efforts and team spirit under tough circumstances ensured their winning streak would not be halted; while condemning the Champions to their seventh defeat of the season.

Trinity’s attention will now turn to an action-packed Easter weekend, with two eagerly anticipated derbies; first a short trip to Castleford Tigers on Thursday 18th April, live on Sky Sports, K.O. 7:45pm, before an Easter Monday encounter hosting Leeds Rhinos, K.O. 3pm.

Trinity: Hampshire, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Arundel, Jowitt, Miller, Brough, Fifita, Wood, England, Pauli, Ashurst, Crowther. Subs – Arona, Horo, Kopczak, Hirst.

Tries: Kopczak (36), Arundel (38), Jowitt (39), Jones-Bishop (42, 60)

Goals: Brough (5/6)

Warriors: Escare, Davies, Sarginson, Burgess, Williams, Jake Shorrocks, Bullock, Leuluai, Navarette, Isa, Paisley, Smithies. Subs – Joe Shorrocks, Powell, Tautai, Partington.

Tries: Burgess (22, 64, 77), Williams (53)

Goals: Escare (2/4)

Half-time – 16-4

Full-time – 30-20

Man of the match – David Fifita


Match Report By Emma Holley