May 10, 2019

Trinity 26-6 Widnes

Trinity booked their place in the Coral Challenge Cup Quarter Finals on Friday evening, with a hard fought 26-6 win over Widnes Vikings.

Three tries in quick succession sealed the victory for Trinity, but the two sides battled it out in a competitive and grittyencounter, with Widnes pushing their Super League opposition all the way.

Both sides had opportunities early on, but wet conditions resulted in numerous mistakes, and it would be the visitors who capitalised first. Lloyd Roby opened the scores for Widnes inside twenty minutes, after grounding a neat kick.

Trinity soon levelled the scores with eight minutes remaining of the first half, as Craig Kopczak offloaded to Max Jowitt, who was able to score underneath the sticks and eventually break through the tight Widnes defence. It was to remain a low scoring half however, with the scores equal at 6-6heading into the break.

Three minutes into the second half, David Fifita showcasedhis crazy versatility yet again. He drilled the ball through the Vikings’ defence; similar to his kick against Huddersfield, before seizing it from the Widnes full-back’s grasp and crashing over in-goal to score beneath the posts.

A red card for Jack Owens with just over fifteen minutes to gomeant the Vikings were down the twelve men, and it would be a five minute burst of Trinity tries that ensured a victory, despite the spirit shown from the Vikings outfit.

The first came from Ben Jones-Bishop, with one of his trademark tries in the corner, after acting captain Reece Lyne, who made his 150th Trinity appearance, assisted with a firingpass to send him over.

It was then two tries in two minutes, as Lee Kershaw replicated Bish’s try in the opposite corner, with an acrobatic finish to further extend Trinity’s lead. Justin Horo touched down from a kick for Trinity’s final try – a minute from time, to ensure his side finished strong and progressed into the next round.

Trinity now join Hull FC and Halifax in the Quarter Final draw after seeing off Widnes, with ten teams still left to play one another over the weekend, which will determine who occupies the other eight spots.

The focus now shifts back to the league next weekend, as Trinity will focus on their trip to the Capital for the second time this season; aiming to right their wrongs from Round 1 against London Broncos, Saturday 18th May, K.O. 3pm.

Trinity: Jowitt, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Caton-Brown, Kershaw, Reynolds, Hampshire, Fifita, Wood, Hirst, Kirmond, Horo, Crowther. Subs – Batchelor, Pauli, Kopczak, Annakin.

Tries: Jowitt (32), Fifita (43), Jones-Bishop (74), Kershaw (76), Horo (79)

Goals: Hampshire (3/5)

Widnes: Owens, Hatton, Roby, Brand, Freeman, Craven, Lyons, T. Chapelhow, Johnstone, J. Chapelhow, Wilde, Dean, Cahill. Subs – Norman, Leuluai, Farnworth, Walker.

Tries: Roby (19)

Goals: Owens (1/1)

Half-time – 6-6

Full-time – 26-6