June 1, 2019

Saints 48-10 Trinity

Trinity’s Challenge Cup run came to an end on Saturday, as they lost out to high-flying St Helens, 48-10 at Langtree Park.

Jack Croft made his Trinity first team debut, while Danny Brough returned to the side. Jordan Crowther and Lee Kershaw also returned for this tough, anticipated cup tie, but table-topping Saints proved too strong for Trinity to handle. 

Lachlan Coote ensured St Helens were the first to score. Two minutes into the match Jonny Lomax made a break, and Coote was there to collect and pick up the first points of the match for his side.

Trinity responded almost immediately through Jack Croft in the corner. It was a dream debut for the youngster, who took in the pass, and produced a fantastic finish over the line to level the scores. 

Coote edged Saints in front with a penalty kick, and Tommy Makinson further extended St Helens’ lead, as he flew over in the corner to score, inches away from the touch line.

Two more tries before half-time ensured a comfortable lead for Saints heading into the interval. Kevin Naiqama raced downfield after a loose ball, and Morgan Knowles was there in support to finish the play. 

The sin bin beckoned for Ryan Hampshire 26 minutes in for a professional foul, which allowed Saints to capitalise once again; this time with Regan Grace over in the corner. 

With the score line reading 26-6 in favour of St Helens, Trinity were left with a lot of work to do in the second half. 

Trinity’s defence remained solid in the second half, and fifty minutes in Randell touched down after a superbly timed kick from Broughy, closing in on the scoreline’s deficit. 

Saints continued to the assert their dominance however, racking up four tries in the final twenty minutes. 

It was numerous breaks and inventive play which allowed St Helens to pile on the points – firstly through Zeb Taia, who sliced through the Trinity defence, crashing over to score. 

Mark Percival then added his name to the scoresheet after Taia and Coote teamed up to feed Percival under the posts, as their momentum proved to be unstoppable. 

The strength and quality of the St Helens side became overwhelming, despite Trinity’s collective efforts and desire. 

Additional tries from Lomax and Naiqama sealed the victory and a semi-final spot for the home side, while Trinity will have to wait another year to try and achieve their Wembley dream. 

Trinity will now look to concentrate on the Betfred Super League, and aim to restore their winning ways in next Friday’s Yorkshire derby, where they host Leeds Rhinos at the Mobile Rocket Stadium, K.O 7:45pm

Trinity: Hampshire, Kershaw, Lyne, Croft, Jones-Bishop, Miller, Brough, England, Randell, Kopczak, Kirmond, Ashurst, Tanginoa. Subs – Crowther, Wood, King, Hirst.

Tries: Croft (5), Randell (50)

Goals: Brough (1/2) 

Saints: Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Richardson, Walmsley, Roby, Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Knowles. Subs – Paulo, Lees, Ashworth, McCarthy-Scarsbrook.

Tries: Coote (2), Makinson (20), Knowles (24), Grace (32), Taia (60), Percival (65), Lomax (70), Naiqama (75)

Goals: Coote (6/9)

Half-time: 26-6

Full-time: 48-10

Match Report by Emma Holley