June 4, 2017

Resilient Trinity Steal the Show

It was a typical tight encounter from both sides in the top four; Trinity clinched the win in the final five minutes.

Salford proved that they were a very difficult side to break down with the home side having had most of the possession and pushing Trinity deep into their own half. However it was Trinity to get the first try of the game and go into the lead at half time.

Ashley Gibson intercepted the ball deep in Wakefield’s own half when Salford were on the attack, he had Mason Caton-Brown in support who ran 80m to put it down under the posts to take the early lead.

Salford had the edge in the first 20 minutes, but Trinity got the second try of the game, Williams intercepted Dobson’s pass and had Reece Lyne in support to his right, the centre chased down the field to get over in the corner. Finn missed the conversion after the ball bounced back off the posts.

Reece Lyne got his second try of the game after a great set from Trinity and hands from Williams and Jowitt after Gibson picked up a loose ball. 0-16.

After giving away a penalty, Salford chased up the field and got their first try of the game after Bibby crossed in the corner right on the stroke of half time.

Craig Kopczak got Salford’s second try of the game in the second half after he went over from close range. The try came following Finn giving away a penalty on Trinity’s 30m mark which resulted in the home side going four points behind.

Moments later Bibby got his second of the game after he went over on the right corner following a gap in Trinity’s defence to take the home side into the lead.

On 66 minutes Mason Caton-Brown did what he does best and dived over in the corner to put Trinity back into the lead, Finn added the extras.

With six minutes remaining Salford looked to steal the win after Tasi crossed next to the posts and Dobson nudged the home side into the lead by two points with the conversion.

However, a fantastic break from Max Jowitt who had James Batchelor in support, on the next play Mason Caton-Brown scored his hat-trick after he found space down the left side.

A poor kick off from Salford resulting in Trinity picking up possession and pushing forward. Moments later James Batchelor picked up the ball and dived under the sticks to seal the win for Wakefield.

Full Time: Salford Red Devils 24-34 Wakefield Trinity