July 19, 2022

Hull KR 15-10 Trinity

Defeat at Craven Park

Report by Alex Minards

Trinity were narrowly beaten by Hull Kingston Rovers in a cagey affair at Sewell Group Craven Park which saw debuts for both Jorge Taufua and Josh Bowden.

In some sweltering heat, the game started quickly. Within just two minutes, Hull KR swept forward, and only some alert reactions from Corey Hall prevented an early try for the hosts. Both sides then traded spells of high pressure, with no team able to take advantage despite creating numerous chances- perhaps a reflection of the defensive quality on show.

However, it was Trinity who ultimately struck first. After some brilliant team link-up play from Liam Hood and Mason Lino with a smart inside pass, Max Jowitt made a 40 metre dart for the try-line, rounding the full-back to cross in the corner and give the visitors a 4-point lead, though Jowitt’s conversion from wide out was unsuccessful. Trinity almost doubled their lead five minutes later when James Batchelor made a break for the line beneath the posts but was held up by solid defending by the Robins. The game then settled down as the first half wore on, and with neither side able to find a way through the other’s defence, the teams went into the half-time interval with Wakefield leading 4-0.

The hosts stepped up their attacking edge early in the second half, and after quickly working the ball out to the left wing, Jimmy Keinhorst raced in by the corner flag to put Hull KR on level terms; an unsuccessful conversion meant the game was tied at 4-4 after just three minutes of the second half. Ten minutes later, the hosts took the lead for the first time in the game, again by getting the ball out wide. A high kick behind from Mikey Lewis then deceived the Trinity back line, and Ryan jumped highest to collect it and ground the ball. The score was now 8-4.

This prompted the visitors to push forward to try and get back into the game. As Trinity threatened, a resilient KR defensive line held up well, keeping out Wakefield throughout numerous tackle sets. However, the home side were dangerous on quick counter-attacks, and just past the hour mark, they struck again through Lachlan Coote, who darted through after a KR penalty to extend their advantage. He converted his own try to make the score 14-4 in the hosts’ favour.

A drop-goal by Will Dagger with ten minutes to go added a further point to the Rovers’ advantage, but Trinity rallied to set up a tense finale when Mason Lino’s crisp pass out to the right wing left Lewis Murphy with a clear line to cross in the corner. Lino then converted well to make the score 15-10, giving Wakefield genuine hope of salvaging the game. Indeed, Trinity came close to winning themselves when Jacob Miller jinked in alongside the posts with five minutes left, but he was deemed to have been held up. Wakefield continued to pile on the pressure in the hope of salvaging the game, but KR’s organised defensive line withstood the attacks and saw out the remaining minutes.

The final score at Sewell Group Craven Park: Hull Kingston Rovers 15, Wakefield Trinity 10.