April 29, 2019

Hull FC 30-14 Trinity

Trinity were kept out by a dominant Hull FC side and suffered a 30-14 defeat, on Sunday afternoon at the KCOM Stadium.

Both teams entered the game busted and with extensive injury lists, on the back of a gruelling Easter period. It was a tough third game in just ten days, and the Black and Whites ensured revenge on a Trinity side that had beaten them convincingly last time out.

Hull FC opened the scores four minutes in through Albert Kelly, who dummied and danced his way to the line, fooling and skipping past numerous Wakefield defenders to score under the sticks.

Trinity hit back on the ten minute mark with Max Jowitt strolling in. David Fifita offloaded heading into a tackle and Kyle Wood, Justin Horo and Ben Reynolds combined with good playmaking to send the full-back slicing through the Hull defence. Ryan Hampshire then converted to level the scores.

Marc Sneyd nudged the home side in front with a penalty kick moments later, and FC youngster Connor Wynne scrambled over to further extended Hull’s lead.

Horo scored Trinity’s second of the match, after pouncing on a clever grubber kick from Wood after a scampering run from the hooker, on his return. A missed conversion and a
Sneyd penalty however, meant Trinity trailed at the interval, 14-10.

Sneyd kicked another easy penalty at the start of the second half, but Trinity continued to
pressure the Hull line, refusing to give in. Yet they were unable to capitalise, and fifty minutes in, Joe Westerman barged over and Trinity relinquished a potential comeback and the narrow deficit.

Hull further asserted their spell of dominance seven minutes later, as Westerman bagged
himself a brace. Albert Kelly offloaded to him near the try line for Westerman to then crash down.

But Trinity refused to let lie and claimed their third try five minutes from time. Pauli Pauli
broke through the Hull line with a charge and Max Jowitt finished with a powerful run, scoring his second.

Expansive play from Trinity in the dying minutes of the game was not enough to overcome
their opponents however, and Marc Sneyd sealed the win for the Black and Whites with a
penalty kick on the hooter.

Trinity will now focus on their Friday night game against local rivals Huddersfield Giants,
away at The John Smith’s Stadium, K.O. 7:45pm.

Trinity: Jowitt, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Caton-Brown, Kershaw, Reynolds, Hampshire, Fifita,
Wood, Hirst, Kirmond, Horo, Crowther. Subs – Arona, King, Annakin, Pauli.

Tries: Jowitt (10,75), Horo (37)

Goals: Hampshire (1/3)

FC: Wynne, Logan, Tuimavave, Connor, Griffin, Kelly, Sneyd, Taylor, Houghton, Paea,
Hadley, Manu, Ellis. Subs – Westerman, Green Matongo, Fash.

Tries: Kelly (5), Wynne (22), Westerman (51, 57).

Goals: Sneyd (7/8)


Half-time – 14-10
Full-time – 30-14
Attendance – 10,254
Man of the match: Max Jowitt