May 5, 2019

Giants 25-26 Trinity

Trinity returned to winning ways on Friday evening, after edging Huddersfield 26-25 in thrilling derby victory.

Tyler Randell returned to the injury-hit Trinity outfit after a lengthy stint on the sideline and Mason Caton-Brown bagged a brace, as collective team spirit and efforts once again saw Trinity hold off a second half Huddersfield comeback and claim the win with a penalty kick in the dying minutes.

It was the second time this season Trinity had beaten the Giants by a single point, and Mason Caton-Brown was the one who opened the scores on Friday night, as he received a pass from playmaker Ben Reynolds and sliced through the visitor’s defence to go over.

Five minutes later, Caton-Brown dived over from close range for his second try, proving too strong for the Huddersfield defenders, at dummy half.

Huddersfield half-back Matt Frawley soon hit back however, spinning out of a tackle to crash over beside the posts sixteen minutes into the match.

Trinity then extended their lead through big Dave Fifita, who showcased incredible versatility once more. Fans had seen him charge down the touchline and assist a length of the field try already this season, and this time Fifita came up with the ball on the back of a high bomb from Ryan Hampshire, before kicking and chasing his own grubber through the Huddersfield line to touch down.

A determined Trinity side and their impressive defensive efforts then ensured that they withheld their 18-6 lead heading into break, after enduring mounting pressure from the Giants on their own try-line.

But a seemingly comfortable 18-6 lead was relinquished, as Huddersfield surged a comeback, scoring three tries in quick succession. Jermaine McGillvary completed a four minute brace, where both tries involved a string of passes in the build-up, which sent McGillvary into space and sliding over in the corner. Adam O’Brien scored moments later for the hosts, fooling the Wakefield defence from dummy half and sneaking over for a try himself.

Trinity found themselves six points behind, but a Giants error allowed Reece Lyne to collect the ball, giving it away to Ben Jones-Bishop, who raced 80 metres for a trademark try. A successful conversion from Ryan Hampshire levelled the scores 24-24, and set up for a tense final ten.

All appeared to be lost when Oliver Russell slotted over a drop-goal for the hosts, edging the Giants in front briefly with eight minutes on the clock; but Trinity were awarded with a penalty five minutes from time. Chris Chester’s men opted for goal, and a simple conversion in front of the sticks sealed the win, as Trinity achieved their league double over the Claret and Golds and regained third place in the Betfred Super League table.

Trinity will now take a short break from the league, as they look ahead to their sixth round Coral Challenge Cup tie, when they host Widnes Vikings next Friday night, at the Mobile Rocket Stadium, K.O. 7:45pm.

Trinity: Jowitt, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Caton-Brown, Kershaw, Hampshire, Reynolds, Fifita, Randell, Arona, Kirmond, Horo, Crowther. Subs – Wood, Kopczak, King, Pauli.

Tries: Caton-Brown (6,11), Fifita (24), Jones-Bishop (66)

Goals: Hampshire (5/5)

Giants: McIntosh, McGillvary, Turner, Senior, Uate, Russell, Frawley, Ta’ai, Leeming, Matagi, Murphy, Mellor, Lawrence. Subs – O’Brien, Roberts, Hewitt, Clough.

Tries: Frawley (16), McGillvary (47, 51), O’Brien (55)

Goals: Russell (4/4)

DG: (1/1)

Half-time – 6-18

Full-time – 25-26

Attendance – 5,011