March 4, 2018

Four Wins From Four For Trinity

Four wins from four from Trinity following a strong performance over local side Huddersfield Giants.

It was not the prettiest of fixtures with the amount of errors and penalties conceded from both teams but Trinity grew in confidence and their attitude changed in the second half to get into a comfortable lead.

The first 40 minutes was quite a scrappy encounter in difficult weather conditions from the low fog, despite a strong start from Huddersfield, it was Wakefield who scored the first try of the game and went into half time with a two point lead.

Huddersfield started the game on the better foot causing a number of problems for Trinity and forced constant errors resulting in the visitors having most of the possession in the opening 15 minutes.

Liam Finn’s kicks created chaos amongst the Huddersfield players, on 23 minutes Ben Jones-Bishop got on the end of the scrum-half kicks to get over in the corner in acrobatic style to put Trinity into the lead.

Minutes later and Craig Huby had a fantastic opportunity to double the lead for Trinity but the prop looked like he had been tripped resulting in not being able to get his hands on the ball.

On 35 minutes, Huddersfield’s Lee Gaskell found space on the right wing to walk over in the corner to get the visitors back into the game; fortunately Brough was unsuccessful with the conversion, 6-4.

Tinirau Arona was forced off the field minutes before half time with what looked to be a hamstring injury and was replaced by Pauli Pauli; however he soon returned to the field of play towards the back end of the game.

It was Wakefield who looked a lot more comfortable in the second half and really took the game into their own.

Errors and penalties were costly once more throughout the second 40 minutes but it was Wakefield who took advantage of this to go further into the lead.

Trinity were awarded two penalties in quick concession, Finn’s kicking game was perfect throughout the 80 minutes and he added the extra four points to put the home side 10-4 into the lead.

Following the high penalty count, Huddersfield were put on a warning by referee, Gareth Hewer. Minutes later and the visitors found themselves down to 12 men after Leeming was sent to the sin bin.

On 55 minutes, Ben Jones-Bishop went over for his second try of the game after an intelligent chip into the corner from Liam Finn which was retrieved by the winger to go over.

Trinity looked extremely comfortable denying the visitors any opportunity to push forward and it was right on the hooter when Mason Caton-Brown picked up the ball after Gaskell lost possession for Huddersfield. Caton-Brown chased down the field to get over and get his first try of the game, Finn added the extras to give Trinity the win on 22-4.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 22-4 Huddersfield Giants