July 10, 2022

Trinity Reserves take victory over Castleford

Wakefield Trinity Reserves take victory over neighbours Castleford Tigers, completing a hard-fought 62-22 victory at the Be Well Support Stadium.

Looking to get some game time in the legs of some first-team regulars, Trinity named a strong side to face the Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

Following a long spell on the sidelines, winger Lee Kershaw made his first appearance since the end of 2021, with new signing, Josh Bowden, also making his first appearance in Red, White and Blue after completing his switch from Hull FC earlier in the week.

Tom Lineham and Thomas Minns linked up on the right as we searched to do some damage to the Castleford left, however, it was the new boy who registered the first points of the game as Bowden powered through the Castleford defence with just two minutes on the clock.

Lineham’s time did come, though, and with plenty of experience down the right edge, the winger added a double, either side of a Castleford fightback to get us to the 20-minute mark.

Wakefield were rolling, and it wasn’t long before we reinstated our mark, crossing four times in 10 minutes. Oli Pratt found some space just shy of the Castleford line as he danced his way to touch down before Joe Law almost copy and pasted the fullback’s move just a few minutes later.

Kobe Poching was the next Trinity player to add his name onto the scoresheet, finding space down the Tigers’ left before Bowden doubled his afternoon’s tally.

With no intention of backing down, Trinity rallied and confirmed a further two scores straight after the interval. First, Ryan Kirkwood saw a gap open up in the Tigers’ defence before quick thinking from Harry Bowes saw the Trinity number 24 dart over from dummy-half.

With the deficit creeping up, Castleford looked to reinstate their charge on the Trinity line as they added back-to-back scores just shy of the hour-mark.

Despite a Castleford fightback, it was Trinity who found their feet once again. Minns leapt into a kick to the right edge to expertly take and touch down before the centre executed a beautiful show-and-go to go over.

Castleford did have the last say, however, as they touched down with just three minutes left on the clock. It proved to just be a consolation, though, as Trinity took a 62-22 victory.