January 20, 2018

Victory over Giants in Final Pre Season Friendly

A great win for Trinity in what was a tight affair for the final friendly of 2018.

Head Coach Chris Chester will be left scratching his head when decided on his starting 17 on February 2nd following some fantastic individual displays against the Giants.

It was a very slow display from both sides during the first half, but it was the Giants who edged it after coming close on a few occasions before they finally got over the line on 16 minutes.

The visitors came close to scoring after 10 minutes but great defence from Bill Tupou and Tom Johnstone to force Ormsby into touch.

The try finally came for Huddersfield after Jake Mamo took Ormsby’s pass to cross six minutes later; fortunately Danny Brough was unable to convert leaving Trinity trailing by just four points.

A great set from Trinity deep in the Giants’ half, the ball shifted from right to left and Jacob Miller provided the final pass to Ben Jones-Bishop who took the ball over the line.

Moments later and Trinity doubled their lead after sheer class from Scott Grix; the full-back fooled the Giants defence with a dummy before racing to the line, Finn successfully converted to put Trinity 12-4 ahead on the 27th minute mark.

Ben Jones-Bishop crossed for his second try of the game five minutes before half time, tremendous play again from Scott Grix to set the winger up.

Huddersfield pulled it back right on the hooter when Lee Gaskell pounced on a Rankin’s kick, Brough added the extras to put the  score level on 16-16 at half time.

Trinity started the second half on a positive note, the ball was played out wide and Matty Ashurst got on the outside of Gaskell to cross for the try and put Trinity back into the lead.

However, the Giants proved that they were not down and out and had some life left in them after Jordan Turner got his hands on the back of a well-weighted kick, a conversion from Brough pulled the score back level on 53 minutes.

A sensational try for Trinity when Joe Arundel had Grix in support on his left, the full-back fought off the Huddersfield defence to dive over in the left corner to win the game on 26-22.