Trinity Slump to Defeat at the Hands of the Giants

24th February, 2017

A dismal and disappointing defeat for Trinity at The John Smith’s Stadium after they fought back from being 8-0 down to take a 16-8 lead at the break only to crumble in the second half.

Huddersfield took control of the game early on applying pressure onto Trinity, resulting in two very early tries for the home side, both coming from teenager Sam Wood.

On the five-minute mark, Wood found himself on the end of a Danny Brough pass to nick it over the line and open up the score line.

Seconds later he went over for his second in the right corner after Kruise Leeming caught the Trinity defence napping. Fortunately, Brough failed both conversion attempts and the home side went 8-0 into the lead.

Trinity were awarded a fresh set 10m out after the home side were caught messing around at the ruck. Liam Finn sneaked over from dummy half to get Trinity back into the game, unfortunately Sam Williams conversion bounced back off the post.

A stunning try from Ben Jones-Bishop on 26 minutes after Miller picked up a loose ball 10m from his own line and passed to Williams who was in support. The scrum-half found Jones-Bishop who ran the length of the field darting around the Giants defence to dive over the line and put Trinity two points into the lead.

On the stroke of half time and on the last tackle of the set, Reece Lyne flicked the ball nicely over to Ben Jones-Bishop to walk it over in the corner for his second of the game. Unfortunately the conversion attempt from Williams went wide and Trinity went in at half time in the lead, 8-16.

The second half proved to be even more frustrating, Giants continued to apply the pressure, Trinity remained disciplined but began to tire as the second half went on. In the 63rd minute when Ukuma Ta’ai powdered over for the home side on the short side to put Huddersfield two points behind.

Three minutes later Oliver Roberts scrambled over the line from close range to put the home side back into the lead. Brough sliced the conversion.

The game took a turn for the worst when Ben Jones-Bishop was forced off the field for a concussion assessment, seconds after the play getting back underway, Brough made a break from deep and chipped the ball perfectly to McGillvary to get the win for the Giants, 24-16.