June 7, 2018

Trinity Out Class Wigan On Home Turf

Huge victory for Trinity over Wigan Warriors at the Mobile Rocket Stadium.

It was a fantastic performance throughout the 80 minutes for Trinity despite late attacking efforts from Wigan, resulting in two victories on the bounce and moving up to sixth in the table.

Trinity took an early lead through a Ben Jones-Bishop try after a bright start to the game; Wigan had very little possession and looked extremely nervous, they gained some confidence following the Halin try towards the back end of the half but it was not enough to give them hope.

The first try of the game came on seven minutes and in favour of Wakefield Trinity after a lovely bit of play down the right wing, Max Jowitt put Ben Jones-Bishop in on the corner to put Trinity ahead, Hampshire was unable to convert but made amends minutes later after kicking a penalty.

Wigan found themselves down to 12 men after Thomas Leuluai was sent to the sin-bin following a professional foul on Justin Horo who was then forced off the field with concussion. On the next play, Trinity played the ball out well to the left side and Bill Tupou got over the line.

Trinity were awarded with another penalty on 26 minutes after Jacob Miller was caught high in the air, Hampshire took the kick to further the lead.

Wigan found some spirit to get back into the game and push forward, Halin managed to keep hold of the ball following an attempted challenge from the Trinity defence before getting over the line, Tomkins added the extras but it was not enough for the visitors to pull it back and Trinity were in the lead going into the sheds at half time.

It was a much quieter second half, with most of the action coming in the final 20 minutes. Wigan fought their way back but a couple of try decisions going against them by the video referee ensured they would not take away the two points.

Trinity stormed into the second 40 minutes with a quick try from Ben Jones-Bishop, he intercepted the ball deep in his own half and ran the length of the field to go over.

On 58 minutes the Wigan defence failed to deal with the ball on the last tackle and Tom Johnstone profited to put Trinity 24-6 ahead. Hampshire added the extras before he kicked another penalty right in front of the posts.

Wigan slowly eased into the game on 68 minutes after Tom Davies looked to have crossed the line, the video referee put a dampener on the visitor’s spirits by not giving the try.

However Wigan soon got two quick tries; the first when Tom Davies finally got over before Escara threw a dummy to get over and score. Tomkins missed one of the conversions and Trinity held onto the lead by 10 points.

Pauli ensured he got the win for Trinity on 77 minutes when he stormed over from close range to secure the two points.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 32- 26 Wigan Warriors