February 2, 2018

Trinity Get 2018 Off to a Flying Start

A superb start to the season for Wakefield Trinity taking the two points at the KCOM Craven Park over newly promoted Hull KR.

It was a scrappy 80 minutes with a number of errors and a couple of questionable challenges early on, one of which saw Hull KR’s Marsh sent to the sin bin following a professional.

A hat-trick from Johnstone in his first Super League game back following an eight month stint on the side-lines gave Trinity the advantage and confidence to take home the two points.

Hull came close a number of times but their efforts crumbled on the last play of the ball throwing away the advantage and chances of crossing for a try.

On 12 minutes, Hull KR were down to 12 men after Matty Marsh was sent to the sin bin for a professional foul, on the next play Tom Johnstone found himself with the opening try of the game and his first for the season after keeping hold of the ball and finishing spectacularly in the corner to put Trinity into the lead, Finn failed to convert.

Tupou soon doubled the score for Trinity, Jacob Miller was the man to find Tupou in a bit of space five yards out, unfortunately Finn failed once more with the conversion.

Trinity were given a lifeline, Hull KR had a fantastic opportunity from deep inside Trinity’s half but a forward pass had been given by referee Chris Kendall and awarded Trinity back with the possession.

Liam Finn got the third try of the game for Trinity after he fooled the Hull KR defence with a dummy to get over, his conversion was successful and Trinity took the lead on 0-14.

The home side started to pile pressure on Trinity late into the first half, however the defence remained strong to stop the home side from scoring.

Hull KR had an opportunity to push forward but another error from the home side resulted in Trinity playing from deep in their own half.

A fantastic pass from Jacob Miller to find Johnstone in a right to left switch, it was a great leap into the air from the winger who went over to get his second of the game just before the stroke of half time. Finn failed the conversion once more, 0-18.

Hull KR came out fighting in the second half, leaving Trinity looking shaky within defence, but they remained defiant to score a further two tries with Johnstone getting his hat-trick and one for Hampshire on his debut.

Back to back errors from Trinity gave the home side a great advantage to get them into the game. A chance came within seconds of the half getting underway when they went over the line but the play was called back for an obstruction earlier on.

It took 56 minutes before Hull KR got over the line, Chris Clarkson found a gap in Trinity’s defence after McGuire’s put him through, Clarkson got over just to the left of the posts.

A sensational try and hat-trick from Tom Johnstone over in the left corner with a spectacular dive to get the ball over the line, Liam Finn was just wide with his conversion attempt, 6-22.

Ryan Hampshire got a try on his debut for Trinity, the hooker went over from close range after a lovely show and go after he caught the Hull KR defence napping to win the game for Trinity 6-28.

Full Time: Hull KR 6-28 Wakefield Trinity.