April 15, 2018

Trinity Fight Off Saints To Get The Win

Trinity held on to get the first win in five games after another tight contest that went down to the wire against current leader St Helens.

After a disappointing start to the first half, Trinity pulled the game back around after scoring three consecutive tries to go into the sheds at half time 22-14 ahead.

Saints came out strong in the opening 40 minutes after making a break down the middle, on the next play the ball was played out to Mark Percival on the left wing to go over for the visitors on the first minute.

Trinity showcased an excellent performance scoring three successive tries in the middle section of the first half to pull the game back around and storm into a 16 point lead.

The first try came on just four minutes, it was a lovely set which went out right to Ben Jones-Bishop who dived over in the corner, Finn added the extras.

Great partnership between Liam Finn and Scott Grix as they put in Reece Lyne to double to lead for Trinity.

Moments later and Justin Horo dived under the sticks to get his first try for Trinity; a lovely dummy by the loose forward fooled the Saints defence.

On 22 minutes, Bill Tupou fought off the Saints defence to get a third try for Trinity, Finn unfortunately missed the conversion,22-6.

After confusion on the restart Saints gained possession, on the next play Tommy Makinson beat the Trinity defence to dive over in the corner to get the visitors back into the game, Richardson was unable to convert.

Saints got a try at the stroke of half time after Mark Percival bagged his second of the half but were unable to convert so Trinity went into the sheds with a 22-14 lead at half time.

Despite a strong battle by the visitors and another early try from Saints, Trinity remained composed and battled it out.

A 40/20 from Danny Richardson put Saints on the front foot, on the next play Luke Douglas crashed over from close play to pull it back to just two points behind.

Trinity were awarded a penalty after a third high tackle from Saints, Finn kicked the two to put Trinity four points clear with seven minutes of the game remaining.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 24-20 St Helens