Trinity Fall Short at the Hands of the Warriors

17th April, 2017

Trinity suffered their first home defeat since the opening game of the season as they were edged out 16-10 by Wigan Warriors at the Beaumont Legal Stadium.

Chris Chester’s side were looking to bounce back from their Good Friday defeat at Castleford, but fell behind early on to Sean O’Loughlin’s converted try.

Despite getting themselves level through a Scott Grix try and a Liam Finn penalty, Trinity fell behind once again as Morgan Escare touched down, although the deficit was back to just two points at the break after Ben Jones-Bishop’s seventh try of the season.

Wakefield defended resolutely for much of the second half to keep themselves in the game, but they were ultimately unable to find a way through at the other end with several controversial calls going against them, before Liam Marshall added a third Wigan try late on to complete the scoring.

Trinity started the game on the back foot and fell behind inside the first five minutes, as O’Loughlin stretched out to score close to the posts giving Escare an easy conversion.

But Wakefield hit back almost immediately through Grix’s fourth try of the season, the full-back collecting Ashley Gibson’s neat grubber through before spinning away from Escare to touch down.

Finn failed to draw the home side level with the conversion, but he made amends soon afterwards, calmly slotting a penalty from 20 metres out after Wigan had been caught offside.

Anthony Gelling, who had been causing Trinity problems down the right-hand edge, was then sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle on Mason Caton-Brown, but Wigan regained the lead nonetheless when Escare scampered over under the posts from 30 metres out before converting himself.

Trinity though closed the gap back to two points moments before half time, with Finn and Grix showing good, quick hands down the right-hand side to put Jones-Bishop away into space, and the in-form winger produced another spectacular finish to score in the corner.

Wigan dominated the opening stages of the second half, and thought they’d extended their lead just short of the hour mark, only for the video referee to judge that Sam Powell had been held up over the line following an outstanding tackle from Danny Kirmond.

The visitors continued to dominate possession and territory, but Wakefield kept their concentration in defence with Tom Johnstone showing exceptional skill under the high ball on several occasions.

And Chris Chester’s side came within inches of taking the lead with just over 10 minutes to play, as Kyle Wood darted towards the line from dummy-half before being held up by O’Loughlin just short.

That moment signalled a change in momentum as Trinity pressed for a winning try late on, but they were unable to find a way through a well-organised Wigan defence, and the Warriors wrapped up the two points in the dying stages when Marshall crossed in the left-hand corner.