May 11, 2018

Trinity Denied Quarter-Final Spot In Ladbrokes Challenge Cup

Trinity fall at the first hurdle in the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup to local side Huddersfield Giants.

It was a game of two halves, Trinity had full control of the first 40 minutes after taking an early lead but it was the Giants who made most of the break and came out in fighting spirit to crack the Trinity defence and get the win.

Despite the two tries and penalty it was a fairly quiet first half for a Cup game, Trinity took the game into their own hands looking sharp in attack and sitting comfortably on just the one try and two penalty kicks.

Trinity took the lead after Mason Caton-Brown got on the end of a lovely kick from Miller before the Giants pulled it back on 15 minutes after the Trinity defenders failed to deal with the ball.

The Giants failed to impress after struggling to get the ball into Trinity’s half before going down to 12 men after Leeming was sin binned.

It was a strong set from Trinity in front of the sticks, a lovely little kick from Jacob Miller out to Mason Caton-Brown in the corner, the winger was able to get his fingertips to the ball to put Trinity ahead after five minutes.

Trinity were awarded a penalty 20m to the right of the sticks after a professional foul, Finn added the two points to go one score ahead after he failed to kick the conversion earlier on.

The Giants soon pulled it back after Trinity failed to deal with the ball on the try line and O’Brien dived on it to get the try.

Cruise Leeming was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes after a professional foul, Trinity were awarded with another penalty and Finn made no mistake with the kick to further the lead for Trinity 8-6.

The Giants came out fighting in the second half causing havoc with the Trinity defence in what was a more entertaining 40 minutes.

It did not take long for the home side to get over the line, English found a gap right under the sticks to get over from close range and put the Giants into the lead for the first time in the game.

The Giants continued to apply the pressure on the Trinity defence and it was not long before they furthered their lead after Ta’ai barged his way over following an offload from Mamo.

Trinity had the perfect opportunity to get back into the game after getting into a fantastic position on 10metres but a knock-on from Wood led to Giants getting back the possession and getting the ball right down the other end of the field. Ta’ai broke the line to get over for the Giants to put them 24-8 ahead.

Trinity looked to find some confidence following a try from Ryan Hampshire after the winger squeezed in at the corner to try and get back into the game however it was not enough to go into the quarter finals of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.

Full Time: Huddersfield Giants 24 – 14 Wakefield Trinity