May 26, 2019

Trinity 18-25 Catalans

Trinity were edged out in Anfield by Catalans on Saturday, 25-18, in the opening game of the 2019 Magic Weekend.

Anthony England and Matty Ashurst returned from injury, whilst Kelepi Tanginoa made his debut in Trinity colours. A number of Trinity players also reached milestones upon this fixture, including Ryan Hampshire with his 100th Super League appearance, Reece Lyne with his 150th and Danny Kirmond with his 200th, respectively. This was not enough to overcome the dominance of the Dragons, however.

It would be Catalans to open the scores on the fourteenth minute, when Fouad Yaha pounced on a kick to the corner to touch down and get his side on the board.

The Dragons extended their lead ten minutes from the interval, after a looping pass from Kenny Edwards, which resulted in a break from Yaha, who then served Tony Gigot the try.

Gigot then converted a penalty kick late on to further edge his side in front, and Trinity headed into the interval with a 12-0 deficit to overcome.

It only took a minute inside the second half for Trinity to score however, after Max Jowitt released Mason Caton-Brown into space down the touch-line. He teamed up with Jacob Miller, who then found Kyle Wood to score nicely under the posts – bringing Trinity right back into the game.

Three minutes later, Trinity hit back once more, as Danny Kirmond crashed his way over the line. Ryan Hampshire successfully converted, and brought the scores level. He then added a penalty kick to put Trinity two points clear.

MCB thought he was in moments later, but a video ref decision ruled touch, and it wasn’t long before Catalans capitalised again; this time through Ben Garcia forcing his way over.

Twelve minutes from time saw Ben-Jones Bishop fly over in the corner, after collective efforts and good play from Hampshire and Jowitt. With the scores equalled at 18-18, it was set up to be a tense last ten.

It wasn’t to be for Trinity, as Tony Gigot slotted a 40m drop-goal over on the 76th minute for his side. Catalans then sealed their 25-18 win as Ben Garcia bagged a brace, crashing over from dummy-half, preventing any sort of magical moment for Trinity on the day.

Trinity will now focus on their Challenge Cup Quarter Final encounter with table-topping St Helens next Saturday, with a place in the semi-finals at stake, K.O. 3:15pm, at Langtree Park.

Trinity: Jowitt, Jones-Bishop, Lyne, Sa’u, Caton-Brown, Miller, Hampshire, Fifita, Wood, Kopczak, Ashurst, Kirmond, King. Subs – Batchelor, England, Randell, Tanginoa.

Tries: Wood (41), Kirmond (44), Jones-Bishop (68)

Goals: Hampshire (3/4)

Dragons: Gigot, Yaha, Mead, Wiliame, Tierney, Langi, Smith, Bousquet, Da Costa, MOA, Whitley, Garcia, Casty. Subs – Edwards, Simon, Baitieri, Kasiano.

Tries: Yaha (14), Gigot (30), Garcia (55, 79)

Goals: Gigot (4/5)

DG: Gigot (1/1)

Half-time – 0-12

Full-time – 18-25

Attendance – 30,057