Rovers Dampen Trinity’s Spirits

22nd January, 2017

The consecutive pre season victories came to an end for Trinity at the hands of neighbours and Championship side Featherstone Rovers.

It was a promising start for Chester’s side after taking an early lead, but the home side fought back to end the unbeaten run.

It was a frustrating first half for Trinity with countless opportunities down on the left wing but the Rovers proved far too superior in defence to deny those chances and the home side went in at half time two points into the lead after three tries.

Trinity edged the first 20 minutes of the first half having had more possession and looking sharp when going forward in attack.

Former Trinity man Jason Walton gave away a penalty for the home side which resulted in Trinity with a fresh set 10m out. Jacob Miller then got over for the first try of the game after three minutes, Finn added the extras to make it 0-6.

Rovers came back fighting and pulled the Trinity defence apart when Anthony Thackeray dodged his way through to get over for the home side, Knowles added the extras to get back level.

The home side gained a bit of confidence and possession to cause a few issues for the Trinity’s back line. Jack Ormondroyd put the Rovers into the lead after sheer power forced him through the defence and over, Knowles added the extras to make it 12-6.

After numerous chances throughout the first 40 minutes, Judah Mazive finally found himself with a try over in the left corner after beating his opponent Kyran Johnson. Finn was unable to convert and Trinity trailed by two points going in at half time.

Featherstone came out in the second half on top and Chris Ulugia scored two consecutive tries within 10 minutes. The first try came from a great pass from Thackeray to set him up. Ulugia barged his way through Trinity’s defence to go over for the second, Knowles added the extras on both occasions to put the home side 24-10.

A strong set for Trinity deep into Featherstone’s half paid off when a lovely show and go from Liam Finn out of dummy half to get over and the scrum-half successfully converted, 24-16.

On 67 minutes, Scott Turner extended the home side’s lead when he crossed in the far corner after Chris Ulugia set the winger up; Knowles was unable to convert, 28-16.

Joe Arundel got the final opportunity for Trinity after he went over in the corner five minutes from time; Finn was unable to convert from the touchline and Trinity found themselves with the first defeat of 2017.

Full Time: Featherstone Rovers 28-20 Wakefield Trinity