Last Gasp Try Gives Trinity Win

12th March, 2017

Reece Lyne scored a crucial late try as Trinity came from behind to secure a dramatic 24-22 win over Salford Red Devils at the Beaumont Legal Stadium.

Trinity dominated the opening 40 minutes and took a 12-2 lead into the break following tries from Lyne and Jacob Miller, with Miller’s half-back partner Sam Williams kicking two penalties.

Salford though hit back midway through the second half, and having got themselves back into the game through Ben Murdoch Masila’s try, they went on to score a further three tries within the next 12 minutes.

Bill Tupou gave Trinity hope though with a try after 70 minutes, and Chris Chester’s side secured their second successive win in spectacular fashion when Williams converted Lyne’s second try from the touchline with just over a minute left to play.

Salford found themselves a man down inside three minutes as Lama Tasi was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle on Anthony England, however Trinity failed to make the extra man count as Gareth O’Brien kicked Salford into a 2-0 lead with an early penalty.

Despite Salford being back up to their full complement, Trinity started to assert their dominance as the half wore on, and got themselves deservedly level just after the 20 minute mark as Sam Williams kicked a simple penalty following another dangerous tackle from Tasi.

And the home side took the lead for the first time just a few moments later as Williams kicked another straight forward penalty, this time as a result of an illegal ball strip from Logan Tomkins.

The offence also resulted in a yellow card for the Salford hooker, with Salford having previously been placed on a team warning, and Wakefield finally made their dominance count as Lyne crashed over in the right-hand corner after good work in the middle of the field from Williams and Craig Huby.

Williams was unable to add the extras from the conversion, but Trinity extended their lead out to 12-2 just a minute before the break as Miller touched down for the second try of the afternoon.

The outstanding Matty Ashurst broke the defensive line close to halfway before finding Tom Johnstone on his left, and although the Salford defence recovered to prevent the winger from running in to score himself, his neat grubber in field was missed by O’Brien, allowing Miller to pounce on the loose ball and score in the corner.

Trinity continued to control the game at the start of the second period, but Salford closed the gap to just four points when O’Brien converted Murdoch-Masila’s try from their first attack of the half.

The try signalled somewhat of a swing in momentum, and the visitors drew level just before the hour mark as Kris Welham forced his way over out wide on the right, although O’Brien missed the chance to put his side ahead with the conversion.

The miss wasn’t too costly at the time though as Salford scored two further tries within the next six minutes as Greg Johnson and George Griffin both touched down, with O’Brien converting the second to make it 22-12.

Trinity were not done though and got themselves back to within four points as Tupou crashed over from close range from Kyle Wood’s short pass, with Williams adding the conversion.

And Chris Chester’s side took the lead with just over a minute to play as Williams held his nerve from the touchline to convert Lyne’s second try of the afternoon.

The drama was not done there though as Salford regained possession from the kick-off and appeared to have scored a winning try on the final hooter, only for Murdoch-Masila to drop the ball over the line, handing Wakefield a dramatic win in front of 4,946 delighted fans at the Beaumont Legal Stadium.