Derby Day Defeat for Trinity

14th April, 2017

Tigers dampened Trinity’s Good Friday spirits after a thrilling Yorkshire derby ended in defeat at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle.

After promising start for Trinity with a very early try, the Tigers quickly grew with confidence and scored six tries to go in at half time with an impressive 36-12 lead.

Bill Tupou took a knock to the head very early on and was forced off to have a concussion test. Trinity kept their composure and continued to push down the field for an early try in their first set of the game, a lovely kick from Williams on the last tackle found David Fifita who was there to get over the line and go into the lead.

However, it didn’t take long for Castleford to fight back and Ben Roberts used his strength to push through the Trinity defence to go over for the home side. The decision went to the video ref and the Tigers were awarded the try to get the Yorkshire derby back on a level playing field.

On 10 minutes, Scott Grix’s restart went out on the full and Luke Gale pushed for a 40/20, which applied a lot of pressure on the Trinity’s defence. Jake Webster then pounced over the line of the fifth tackle to put the home side into the lead.

Gale, who had an impressive kicking game for the Tigers got another 40/20 for the home side, on the next play Holmes picked up the ball from Gale who furthered the home sides lead.

Back-to-back penalties for the Tigers around Trinity’s 10m line, Grant Millington stretched over to get another try for Castleford.

After passing the concussion test earlier on, Bill Tupou found himself going over the line after he got onto the end of a lovely kick from Jacob Miller on the last tackle to make it 24-12.

Seconds later the home side got two tries in quick concession. The first came when they used their strength down the middle and Millington got his second of the game. Jake Webster then got on the end of a neat pass from Luke Gale to dive under the sticks for Castleford.

Castleford were the first team close to opening up the scoreline in the second half after Monaghan thought he had got another try for the home side on 52 minutes but the ref gave a forward pass.

Tom Johnstone broke free and finally did what he does best, race down the field, on the next play David Fifita scrambled through the Tigers defence to get Trinity back into the game.

Castleford picked up their first try of the second half on 62 minutes when they shifted the ball well through their hands to find Eden who got over in the corner.

Greg Eden thought he had scored once again for the Tigers, however the video ref disallowed it for obstruction. Moments later Trinity got down the field and Ben Jones-Bishop dived over in the corner and this time the video ref gave the try.

Full Time: Castleford Tigers 42-24 Wakefield Trinity